19 February 2004

I Was Pimpbot 5000 in a Past Life

Conan, I can't believe you managed to stir up some controversy in Canada! I wish I had seen the show, but it just sounds like Triumph was going through his normal shtick of pushing boundaries (he's an insult comic dog for Pete's sake). The problem seems to be that francophone issues are off limits. It was a sketch. Triumph makes fun of people, not just Quebecois or even Canadians. Though a couple of things he said did seem a bit raw.




Triumph insult QuebecSo you're French and Canadian, yes? So you're obnoxious and dull. - Triumph the Insult Dog

I've never seen that much excitement turn to that much hate that fast. - Conan on auduience reaction


The real lesson learned is that you don't go into Quebec and publicly insult seperatists on their chosen language and their Europe-ness. Like I said, I missed the show, but I know what Triumph is like and I've read his worst insults, and I only find it to be funny the way Triumph is funny. You can't take him seriously. It's a puppet. A talking hand guised as a dog. These insults raise the controversy they do only because Canada is a hotbed of political activity and seperatistism is a big deal in Quebec right now. But when is it not?!

There's even scandal involved: most of the federal government's highest positions are in the hands of Quebec-natives. I don't know if it's true or not, but there are a lot of non-francophone Canandians that see Quebec as extorting the rest of the country. I don't know how much money the government brings in and I don't know how and where it spends it. But even the mere rumors I've read and heard must represent something else that Triumph happened to point out.

All this trash-talk over my main dawg Triumph is indicative of deep rooted issues that Canada hasn't really dealt with. Conan shouldn't take the flak for doing what Toronto payed him to come do. He did in Canada as he does here: acted like an American idiot and got a few laughs along the way.
Comments: Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?